Have you been hearing the term "holistic health" and you aren't quite sure what it is? Holistic health means finding ways to get your body, mind and spirit strong so you can live the life you truly desire living without physical, mental and spiritual problems holding you back. It is a matter of looking at the whole person, mind body and spirit and recognizing what is and what is not working from all different angles.
Holistic healthy living involves treating ourselves as multi-dimensional, complex beings that are affected by many factors. These factors range from what you eat, physical activity levels, your thinking patterns, relationships in your lives, stress and much more. Exercise, proper nutrition, meditation, paying attention to how you truly feel and developing a mind-body connection are all important aspects of living a holistic approach to health.
Do you feel like taking more of a holistic approach to your health but you aren't sure where to start? Here are five great ways to start living holistically. You will experience increased energy levels, weight loss, glowing skin, happier moods and much more!
- Eat as clean as you can! You don't have to go all out and eat clean every single day all day,that can drive even hardcore health nuts crazy. Make a point to eat as clean as you comfortably can and it will make a major difference in your life. Over time it will become easier and you will start to crave only high quality and clean food. If you do it a pace that works for you, it will become a lifestyle change, not a quick fix. Start by adding more greens, smoothies, a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables, seeds, nuts and beans.
- Drink water with lemon. Sometimes the most powerful things are the easiest and drinking water with lemon is one of them! It is one of the most inexpensive and natural ways to detox your body. Try drinking this first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Lemon is high in vitamin C and helps to flush out the liver, which is one of the most important organs in the body!
- Spend more time in nature. Outdoors can be the best therapy there is and a great way to connect to your thoughts. Life can be so hectic and sometimes we forget to tune into how we really feel. Go outside daily and reflect on the beauty of nature and the beauty of your life!
- Replace coffee with green tea. So many of us love our coffee in the morning but sometimes we can overdo it and have too much caffeine in our diets. If you are looking to get away or cut back on caffeine, green tea is a great alternative. If the taste is too strong for you, add some honey! Green tea is made from un-oxidized leaves and is the least processed type of tea and therefore contains the most antioxidants and beneficial polyphenols. Green tea helps aid digestion, improves heart and mental health, and regulates body temperature.
- Have an attitude of gratitude. It can be easy to get caught up in the demands of everyday life and forget how good we have it. There is always something to be thankful for - whether it is your health, friends, family, job or anything that brings joy to your life. Take a moment every day to pause and be aware and thankful of what you are grateful for and this will boost your mood immediately!